Baked Buffalo Tofu Bites- high in protein and bursting with flavor, these buffalo tofu bites are the perfect healthy snack. All you need is 9-ingredients to make them! (vegan + gluten-free option)
These baked buffalo tofu bites were one of the first tofu recipes I ever posted on the blog. Just a mere 10 years ago. Man, I’m getting old.
I forgot how incredibly delicious they were until I went to update the photos. The crisp coating, the saucy buffalo flavor. Dipped in homemade vegan ranch, they make for one addicting high-protein snack. Or meal, if you’re like me and eat fifteen in one sitting. Whoops.
Baked Buffalo Tofu Bite Ingredients
- Extra Firm Tofu- Extra firm tofu is not only going to be highest in protein but it will give you the best texture for these buffalo tofu bites. I recommend squeezing the block of tofu between a few tea towels or pressing it with a tofu press if you have one, to get as much liquid from the tofu as possible.
- Cornstarch- Cornstarch is essential for helping the coating to stick to the tofu bites. We simply whisk it with a bit of water to create a starch slurry.
- Flour- All purpose flour is best for a mild flavor. Feel free to use gluten-free all-purpose if you’d like to make these GF.
- Garlic Powder and Smoked Paprika- Just a bit of garlic powder and smoked paprika enhance the flavor. If you don’t like smoked paprika you can also use regular paprika instead.
- Salt & Pepper- If you have a very salty buffalo sauce then you may want to skip the salt but I find 1/2 teaspoon to be the perfect amount of saltiness.
- Panko Breadcrumbs- Technically any kind of breadcrumbs will work here. However, panko bread crumbs have a distinct crunch to them which helps keep the coating crisp even after its been soaked in buffalo sauce. That said, for the best texture, I recommend getting panko breadcrumbs, if possible. You can also use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs if you need them to be GF.
- High Heat Oil- Avocado oil spray (or something similar) helps prevent the coating from burning as the tofu bites bake in the oven.
- Buffalo Sauce- Feel free to use your favorite buffalo sauce for this recipe. If you need a dairy-free buffalo sauce, Primal Kitchen makes a delicious one that isn’t too spicy (assuming you get the mild option).
How to make Baked Buffalo Tofu Bites
- Press and dice your tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Coat each piece with starch water, flour/seasoning mixture, back in water then in breadcrumbs. Repeat until all of the tofu bites are breaded. Lightly spritz with high heat oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Coat with buffalo sauce. Bake again for 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve warm with vegan ranch and enjoy!
Dipping Sauce: I like to dip these in my homemade hemp ranch dressing. To make it even creamier, I add 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1/4 cup more water. So it ends up being a cashew hemp seed ranch. Vegan blue cheese dressing would also be delicious!
Make it a Meal: You could serve the tofu bites with broccoli and rice, sweet potato fries, or even make a sandwich by serving them in a sub roll. Yum.
How to Store Leftovers
These baked buffalo tofu bites should keep for up to 1 week when properly sealed and refrigerated. They are best reheated in the oven or air fryer as that will keep the coating nice and crispy.
More Delicious Ways to Eat Tofu
Baked Buffalo Tofu Bites
High in protein and bursting with flavor, these buffalo tofu bites are the perfect healthy snack. All you need is 9-ingredients to make them! (vegan + gluten-free option)
Servings: 50 bites
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, + ½ cup water
- ½ cup flour, use gluten-free flour for GF version
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, or gluten-free breadcrumbs for GF version
- high heat oil spray
- 8 ounces preferred buffalo sauce
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using a towel (or paper towels), pat tofu block dry then dice into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and ½ cup water until smooth. In a second bowl, combine flour with garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper. In a third bowl, add breadcrumbs.
Start by dipping each tofu cubes, one by one, starting with starch water. Next, roll the cube in flour, dip it back in the starch water, then roll in panko breadcrumbs last. Repeat this step until all of the cubes are coated. Arrange on the baking sheet and lightly spray with high heat oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
Pour the buffalo sauce into a bowl for dipping. Once the tofu cubes are done baking, toss each one in hot sauce until evenly coated. Transfer back to baking sheet and bake again, for 10-15 minutes more.
Serve warm with desired dipping sauce (such as vegan ranch), and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts are for 1 tofu bite, assuming you get 50-bites from the recipe. Nutrition facts are an estimate and will vary depending on specific brands you choose.
Calories: 36kcal, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 0.1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.03g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 9mg, Potassium: 15mg, Fiber: 0.3g, Sugar: 0.004g, Vitamin A: 10IU, Vitamin C: 0.001mg, Calcium: 3mg, Iron: 0.2mg