Jorginho has been told to ‘bow down’ from penalty duties for Italy after his latest effort was saved against North Macedonia.
While Italy trounced the European minnows 5-2, Jorginho had a tame penalty saved easily by Stole Dimitrievski on Friday evening.
It has led to criticism of the 31-year-old, including from Italy legend Beppe Bergomi, who won the World Cup with the Azzurri in 1982.
“With all due respect, Jorginho has to bow down to the evidence here and admit penalties are no longer for him,” he told Sky Sport Italia.
“That style of taking spot-kicks just does not work anymore and today we got confirmation beyond doubt.
“We can appreciate his character and mental strength in going up there again, but I’d say now enough is enough.
“He has to go to the coach and say let someone else take the next one.”
While Jorginho might have missed from the spot, it did not derail Italy’s qualification hopes for the Euros next summer.
They only need a draw against Ukraine to secure a spot in Germany in the summer of 2024 as they look to defend their crown.
Meanwhile, Italy boss Luciano Spalletti was full of praise for Jorginho, despite his penalty miss.
“Jorginho should be congratulated [for his performance]. He did not angle the ball very well but the goalkeeper made a good save,” Spalletti said.
“He remains a special penalty taker for Italy. I told him that he will take the next penalty as well and he said yes.”
Italy face Ukraine on Monday night with plenty at stake for both countries.
The two nations are drawn on 13 points currently, but the odds are in Italy’s favour due to their superior goal difference.
Only one country will join England in Germany after Gareth Southgate‘s men already secured qualification from Group C.
A 3-1 win against Italy at Wembley last month made sure that they would be at next year’s tournament.