The warm spices in this easy crockpot hot apple cider make this the coziest drink you’ll be sipping on this fall! A touch of citrus and some fruity brown sugar make it downright perfect for the holidays.
Easy Crockpot Hot Apple Cider
This freshly made crockpot hot apple cider beats the store-bought kind any day. Its warm spices like cinnamon and cloves just welcome you to autumn with their spicy fragrance and earthy aroma. The brown sugar also adds hints of molasses and caramel to boost the fall goodness. For a bit of tang, add sweet oranges and zesty lemon before letting the slow cooker do its thing. Kept simple or dressed up with a shot of brandy, it’ll probably be the only drink you make on repeat once the leaves start falling.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Hot Apple Cider Recipe
You can kiss other winter drinks goodbye once you’ve had a sip of this tart but perfectly sweetened crockpot apple cider.
- Homemade. This cider is sweetened with brown sugar, only has fresh ingredients, and whole spices. Why would you go back to store-bought?
- Great for winter. It’s a comforting hug in a mug with all the warm spices.
- Family-friendly. If apple cider is too spicy or tart for your little ones, make this recipe using sweet apple juice instead.
- Convenient. You don’t need to stand over the stove for hours! Throw everything into the crockpot and let it simmer away to perfection.
What You’ll Need
Apple cider is the reason why this recipe is so easy. Everything else just boosts the fall-flavors. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Apple cider – Use your favorite kind.
- Cinnamon sticks – Only cinnamon sticks can slowly release earthy warmth and spice without becoming overwhelming.
- Cloves – Don’t use ground cloves because they’re too intense.
- Orange – It adds natural sweetness, a touch of tartness, and zestiness.
- Lemon – Feel free to swap them for more oranges.
- Brown sugar – Light or dark brown sugar work too.
Hot apple cider just gets better and better with the help of a couple ingredients. Spice it up!
- Make it fruitier. Adding 1/2 cup dried apricots, 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, and 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice will make your apple cider even fruitier.
- Add a touch of caramel. Swap the sugar for homemade caramel syrup. Top the drink with whipped cream and drizzle it with more caramel for extra warmth and a cozier beverage.
- Use juice. Using organic apple juice instead of apple cider will give you a less spicy but equally yummy version of this cider. It’s more likely kids will enjoy it too.
- Make it boozy. Add a splash of brandy for a spiked apple cider variation of this recipe.
How to Make Crockpot Hot Apple Cider
Where else have you seen a 3-step hot apple cider? You can thank the crockpot for this once your house smells like autumn. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Fill the crockpot. Place the whole cloves in a small spice bag or a piece of cheesecloth. Add it to the crockpot along with the apple cider, sliced orange, sliced lemon, cinnamon sticks, and brown sugar.
- Stir and cover. Give everything a gentle stir to help the flavors mingle. Secure the lid on your crockpot.
- Cook it. Set your crockpot to LOW and let it work its magic for 2 hours. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips for Success
From swapping the sweetener to why you need to slow cook it on LOW, these tips will help you nail any crockpot hot apple cider recipe.
- Garnish it. Add an orange, lemon, or apple wedge to make your drink look extra pretty.
- Add a cinnamon-sugar rim. Dip the rim of the serving glasses into lemon juice and then into cinnamon sugar. Let them air dry for 10 minutes before pouring in the apple cider and serving.
- Swap the sweetener. Maple syrup and agave nectar will increase the fall vibes due to their natural smokiness.
- Don’t cook it on HIGH. Making this cider on HIGH won’t give the flavors a chance to infuse. It’ll also make the liquid evaporate much faster. Always make it on LOW.
This crockpot hot apple cider is a wonderful drink with fall-flavored treats. Think apples, cinnamon, pumpkin, and even nutmeg. Serve it with my Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake, Healthy Apple Pumpkin Muffins or Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes for the perfect afternoon dessert.
More Fall Drink Ideas
The warm spices in this crockpot hot apple cider make it the coziest drink you’ll be sipping on this fall!
- Add cloves to a spice bag and place in crock pot.
- Add all other ingredients to crock pot. Stir and Cover.
- Cook on LOW for 2 hours.
Keywords: crockpot hot apple cider, slow cooker hot apple cider recipe